Vitamins to strengthen the immunity of adults and children. Review of vitamin complexes
Immunity is a set of body functions aimed at combating foreign agents. As foreign agents, not only viruses, bacteria and parasites are perceived, but also allergens, cancer cells, foreign transplanted tissues. Unfortunately, the modern way of life of people, poor ecology, chronic lack of sleep, poor nutrition, frequent nervous stresses do not have the best effect on the functioning of the immune system. In this regard, many people have the question of how to help the body, strengthen immunity and reduce susceptibility to diseases.
- Benefits of vitamins for the immune system
- Sources of vitamins
- Features of choice and intake of vitamins
Benefits of vitamins for the immune system
The immune system is an extremely complex defense mechanism. It consists of localized throughout the body and closely interrelated:
- formations (lymph nodes);
- Clumps of tissues (tonsils);
- organs (thymus, spleen, bone marrow);
- cells (lymphocytes).
Without immunity, human existence would be impossible, since even with the slightest violation of protective functions, the ability of the organism to resist various diseases, especially infectious nature, is significantly reduced. One of the reasons contributing to the reduction of resistance is malnutrition, an unbalanced diet, insufficient intake of vitamins and minerals that are directly involved in many biochemical reactions.
The most valuable for the immune system are vitamins with antioxidant properties, involved in the formation of antibodies, the fight against free radicals and preventing the aging of the body: A (retinol), E (tocopherol), C (ascorbic acid) .
Also useful are B vitamins that have a positive effect on the nervous system, helping to survive nervous tension, depression and their negative effects on the whole organism and on immunity in particular.
Important: To maintain immunity in good condition, first of all, you must adhere to a healthy lifestyle, eat healthy foods, exercise, get enough sleep and avoid stressful situations.
Sources of vitamins
Sources of vitamins for immunity are food products and special biologically active additives. The products containing them in large quantities include raw vegetables, fruits, berries and lettuce, natural fresh juices, vegetable oils, nuts. They are also found in dairy products, fish, seafood and meat.
Deficiency of vitamins, people begin to experience in winter and spring, when they are deprived of the opportunity to consume fresh fruits and vegetables. In addition, during this period the threshold of the incidence of acute respiratory viral infection greatly increases, and the activity of the immune system, which must fight their pathogens, is weakened. You can replenish the stores of useful substances with the help of vitamin complexes sold in the pharmacy.
However, it is worthwhile to understand that synthetic vitamins are much less useful than natural vitamins. They are worse absorbed and slightly different in composition. For example, synthetic tocopherol is only one compound, α-tocopherol, while the natural tocopherol consists of four tocopherols (α, β, γ and δ) and four tocotrienols (α, β, γ and δ), that is, eight compounds instead of one. As a result, natural vitamin E has a different effect on the body in the complex than only one α-tocopherol. The same applies to carotene, vitamins A, C, B 12 and others.
To the body received a sufficient number of useful biologically active substances and had a strong immunity, in the first place, it is worth reviewing your diet, replenish it with rich foods. It is believed that with a full and varied diet supplemental intake of vitamin supplements is not only not needed, but also can be dangerous to health. No tablets, in terms of their effectiveness and benefit, will replace a glass of freshly squeezed vegetable or fruit juice. The most vitamins necessary for the immune system are found in citrus fruits, black currants, blueberries, cranberries, cowberries, gooseberries and hips, apples, cabbage.
Features of choice and intake of vitamins
On the shelves of pharmacies there is a wide selection of vitamin preparations. They are released without a prescription, so anyone can easily acquire them. They differ in composition, cost, form of release (dragees, tablets, capsules, solutions for injections). Despite various advertisements on TV, promising a significant improvement in health and preventing a number of diseases after taking a course of vitamins, many experts strongly do not recommend using them for preventive purposes. In particular, this applies to multivitamin complexes.
To prevent complications, you need to choose vitamin complexes for immunity in conjunction with your doctor. Take them should be in accordance with the instructions, usually only once a day during or immediately after meals. Children are better to give drugs in the morning, because at this time the activity of the body is maximum, which will ensure their better assimilation.
Vitamins for adults
Vitamins for immunity for adults can have a universal composition suitable for any age and sex, and can take into account the needs of only a specific category of patients. For example, funds for men contain higher dosages of vitamins B, D, K and E, minerals of calcium and phosphorus. They help to strengthen masculine health and immunity, it is easier to endure physical stresses, hinder the development of cardiovascular diseases, strengthen the musculoskeletal system. These include the Alphabet for Men, Duovit for Men, Vitrum Life, Opti-Men and others.
In complexes for women, iron is necessarily present , the deficit of which often occurs with abundant and prolonged menstruation. They also include vitamins A, C, F and E, slowing down the aging process, involved in the production of hyaluronic acid, maintaining the skin, hair and nails in good condition. The most famous vitamin-mineral complexes for women, which not only care about women's beauty and health, but also strengthen immunity, include the Alphabet for Women, Vitrum Beauty, Complivit for Women, Duovit for Women and others.
Vitamin Complexes for Adults
The best universal complexes that promote immune strengthening in adults are the following:
- Multi-tabs Immuno Plus. Tablets containing 11 vitamins (A, C, E, group B, D, PP), 7 minerals and lactobacillus bacteria Lactobacillus rhamnosus. Strengthen immunity, nervous system, improve heart function, GIT, are prescribed for the prevention of intestinal dysbiosis and other disorders when taking antibiotics. Allowed to use from 12 years.
- Vitrum. The tablets covered with a cover, 13 vitamins and a plenty of minerals practically completely filling daily requirement of the person. They are used to treat beriberi in case of overfatigue, after severe illnesses and surgeries, increase the protective properties of the body, are recommended for weight loss and problems with the digestive tract.
- Centrum. Produced in the form of tablets, coated with a film membrane. Contains 12 essential vitamins (A, C, E, Group B), antioxidants, has a rich mineral composition (17 macro and microelements). It can be used for adults and children, it is used for the prevention and treatment of beriberi, improving immunity, effective for skin problems.
- Complivit. Produced in the form of tablets, contains 11 vitamins, 8 minerals and lipoic acid. Dosages of active ingredients are not very high, so the drug can be taken for a long time for preventive purposes. It is authorized from 12 years.
- Alphabet in the cold season. A multivitamin complex consisting of vitamins, minerals, succinic and lipoic acids. Produced in the form of tablets of different colors, which must be taken during the day for 3 pieces (1 each color), taking into account compatibility. Promotes strengthening of immunity, elimination of toxins, improves liver function.
- Supradin. Produced in the form of dragees and effervescent tablets, contains 12 vitamins (groups B, A, C, D, E) and 8 minerals. It is allowed to use from the age of 12, it is recommended to detect a deficiency of minerals and vitamins, with intensive physical exertion, during rehabilitation after severe and prolonged illnesses, for the prevention of viral diseases in the autumn-winter period.
- Immune Forte. Vitamin complex with herbal extracts, containing vitamins A, C, B6, zinc, extract of astragalus, echinacea , shiitake mushroom, licorice root and Schisandra chinese. The drug improves metabolism, the functions of the circulatory and nervous systems, increases the body's defenses.
Interesting: In addition to vitamins, microelements are important for immunity, especially zinc, selenium, magnesium and iodine, so when choosing a vitamin complex, attention should be paid to their presence in the composition.
Vitamins for children
The immune system of a child is different from an adult. Its main feature is that it is imperfect and is at the stage of formation, which begins in the womb, and then continues with the receipt of antibodies along with breast milk, vaccination and exposure to various infections. How strong the child's immunity can be judged by how often he falls ill when in contact with other people or peers attending kindergartens and schools, where there is almost always a risk of infection.
Important: The peak incidence in children falls to the age of 2 to 5 years, and it is the diseases transferred during this period that help to form the immune system, develop antibodies to pathogens and establish protective mechanisms.
The child's body is constantly growing, and he needs vitamins not only for immunity, but for normal and healthy development in general. The paramount task of parents is to take care of your child's health and take preventive measures. An effective way to increase immunity is hardening , a balanced diet, exercise. But not always these measures are enough. If a child gets sick too often, he recovers for a long time, complications occur, he is prone to allergic reactions, and special vitamin and mineral complexes for children will help.
Vitamin Complexes for Children
Effective preparations for children:
- Pikovit, syrup and multi-colored chewable tablets. Allowed to babies from 1 year. The composition includes 9 essential vitamins, the tablets additionally contain minerals. Helps to compensate for the lack of vitamins in the treatment of antibiotics, seasonal shortages of fruits and vegetables, poor appetite, high mental stress.
- Vitrum Kids, figurines of animals with a pink tinge, fruit taste and smell. Includes 12 vitamins and 10 minerals. Applied with vitamin deficiency or insufficient intake of vitamins with food, in the period of intensive physical development, rehabilitation after illness, with high intellectual loads, to enhance the protective functions of the body during seasonal epidemics of ARVI. It is authorized from 4 years.
- Kinder Biovital, gel with sweet and sour fruit taste and chewing lozenges. It contains lecithin, 10 vitamins and 3 minerals. Assign with hypovitaminosis and vitamin deficiency, during the recovery period after diseases and operations, for the prevention of rickets and stunting, the gel helps as a local remedy for inflammatory diseases of the gums. It is allowed to use for babies from 1 month.
- Multi-Tabs Immuno Kids, chewable tablets with berry flavor. They have lactobacilli, 12 vitamins and minerals. They are used to prevent respiratory infections in children during epidemics, contribute to the restoration of the natural protection of the child's organism, maintain the balance of the intestinal microflora, and improve the adaptive capabilities of the child's organism. Allowed for children from 3 years.
- Alphabet Kindergarten, chewable tablets with apple, orange and strawberry taste, contain 13 minerals and 9 vitamins. Assign to strengthen immunity, improve the mental and physical development of children, help to adapt more easily to external changes and emotional stress. Allowed from 3 years.
You can give any vitamin complexes to children only after consulting a pediatrician.
The main danger when taking vitamin preparations is the possibility of hypervitaminosis, which causes even severe intoxication and is considered a more dangerous condition for the body than a lack of vitamins. In this regard, use them is permissible only after consulting a doctor, without exceeding the dosage indicated in the instructions or recommended by a specialist. Before you increase the immunity with vitamin supplements, you should make sure that its reduction is due precisely to their deficiency, and not to other, more serious, causes.
The most common side effect of taking vitamin supplements is allergic reactions, manifested as skin rashes, itching, redness, swelling. Particularly prone to such reactions are children. When they appear, you should immediately cancel the drug and inform the doctor about it, if you have severe allergy symptoms, take antihistamines.