Contraceptive pills that do not get fat: how to choose and apply
Reliable protection from unplanned pregnancy is an important component of sexual relations. Often to address this issue, women prefer to take birth control pills containing hormones. One of the side effects of this method of contraception, according to many women, is weight gain. However, unwanted weight gain is not always directly related to contraceptives. Modern preparations contain small doses of hormones, therefore do not contribute to the addition of extra pounds during their intake.
- Types of oral contraceptives and their choice
- The effect of oral contraceptives on body weight
- Prevention of weight gain when taking birth control pills
- Birth control pills with minimal risk of weight gain
Types of oral contraceptives and their choice
On the shelves of pharmacies there is a wide range of different oral contraceptives. These drugs are used not only to protect against unwanted pregnancy, but also to normalize the menstrual cycle, to correct hormonal disorders , to treat infertility and certain gynecological diseases (myoma, cyst, endometriosis). They help improve the appearance of the skin of a woman, reduce greasiness of the hair, relieve the symptoms of PMS and menopause.
Tablet hormonal contraceptives contain, as part of analogues of the main female sex hormones, estrogens and progesterone, which regulate the reproductive system. They are divided into two groups of drugs: combined oral contraceptives (COCs) and mini-pili.
Combined oral contraceptives
Combined oral contraceptives contain ethinyl estradiol, an analog of the hormone estradiol of the estrogen group produced by the follicular apparatus of the ovaries, as well as various synthetic progestogens (gestoden, desogestrel, norgestrel, dydrogesterone, norethisterone, dienogest and others). The mechanism of their action is to suppress ovulation, change the structure of the endometrium in such a way that the fertilized egg can not attach to the uterine wall, increase the density of cervical mucus, which prevents the advancement of spermatozoa into the uterus and reduces their motor activity.
Division by content of hormones
The following types of COCs are distinguished:
- monophase contain identical unchanged doses of estrogen and pogestagen in each tablet (regulon, zhanin, silhouette, femodene, logest, lindineth and others);
- biphasic are characterized by a constant identical content of estrogen in all tablets and, depending on the phase of the menstrual cycle, the content of the progestogen (femoston, sekvilar, adepal, binorldiol, binovium and others);
- three-phase contain three different dosages of estrogen and progestogen in accordance with the period of the menstrual cycle (tri-regol, tri-merci, triziston and others).
The division of the quantitative content of hormones
COCs are divided into three groups depending on the quantitative content of hormones:
- Microdosed. Recommended for admission to girls and women under 25 years (klayra, zoeli, dzhes, logest, novinet, mersilon).
- Low-dose. Suitable for young and mature women, giving birth, are shown to those who, against the background of taking tablets with a lower dosage of hormones, notice the smearing intermenstrual bleeding (diane, yarina, silhouette, zhanin, regulon, and femodene).
- Highly Dosed. Contain fairly high doses of hormones, are recommended mainly for the treatment of gynecological diseases and correction of hormonal disorders (tri-regol, trikvilar, ovidon, non-ovolon).
Warning: Birth control pills refer to drugs that are categorically not self-assignable, as well as follow the recommendations of friends in this matter. This should be done exclusively by the doctor after a thorough examination of the patient, taking into account her age, phenotype, the presence of concomitant diseases and contraindications.
Mini-pili, in contrast to COC, contain only one hormone progestogen and have a slightly less reliable contraceptive effect. They do not suppress ovulation, but they change the structure of the endometrium, creating obstacles for implanting a fertilized egg in the uterus, and affect the composition and amount of mucus of the cervix, increase its viscosity, which greatly complicates the movement of spermatozoa.
Examples of such agents are tablets containing as a progestogen:
- Linestren (exclutton, microlus, organometr);
- levonorgestrel (norplant);
- norgestrel (ireth);
- desogestrel (lactitet, charosette).
Despite the lower effectiveness of the drugs in this group to protect against unplanned pregnancy, they have a milder effect on the body, are characterized by a smaller list of contraindications and side effects.
Video: Gynecologist about the rules of using oral contraceptives
The effect of oral contraceptives on body weight
The intake of hormonal contraceptives is sometimes accompanied by the occurrence of side effects in women. It can be headaches, nausea, swelling, abnormalities of the digestive tract, allergic reactions, hair loss on the head or increased growth in undesirable places, weight gain and other problems.
Representatives of the fair sex are often afraid to take birth control pills because of the risk of getting better. However, many gynecologists note that if the drug is correctly selected taking into account the hormonal background of the patient and all the features of her health, then the likelihood that she will grow fat on the background of receiving such funds is extremely small. This is due to the fact that the prescribed modern hormonal contraceptives contain much lower doses of hormones than similar means of the first generation, against which the reception of certain women actually had an increase in weight.
Important: The effect of oral contraceptives on the woman's body is individual. The same drug in some patients can cause weight gain, while in others, on the contrary, decrease.
The increase in the body weight of a woman with the use of hormonal contraception may be due to the fact that the synthetic analogues of progesterone, which are part of the COC and mini-pili, cause an increase in appetite and thereby provoke weight gain due to overeating. Also, progesterone promotes fluid retention in the second phase of the menstrual cycle.
Another reason that a woman drastically becomes full when taking birth control pills is a disorder in her thyroid function as a hypothyroidism, proceeding in a hidden or explicit form. Oral contraceptives thus aggravate the existing endocrine disorders, lead to obesity and marked edema .
Prevention of weight gain when taking birth control pills
Most often from the intake of oral contraceptives gain weight of women who initially have a tendency to fullness, metabolic disorders, chronic endocrine pathologies. In order not to grow stout when taking birth control pills, they can use the following recommendations:
- Regularly weigh, at least once a week for weight control.
- Increase physical activity, walk more, do swimming, yoga, pilates or other sports that are allowed for health reasons.
- In the second phase of the menstrual cycle, in consultation with the doctor, drink diuretic herbal teas or diuretics in the form of tablets (veroshpiron).
- To shift the hours of taking medications before a night's sleep, in this case, the peak concentration of the taken hormones in the blood, which can cause a feeling of hunger, will have during sleep, and the woman is unlikely to specifically wake up to once again have a snack, as a result will not grow stout.
- In the first months of taking the tablets, until the body is accustomed to them, try hard to control the amount, composition and caloric content of food consumed, limit fatty, salty and sweet, eat more vegetables and fruits, boiled or steamed lean meat and fish, skim milk products.
Contraceptive pills should not cause a woman any side effects, including weight gain. If the medication prescribed by the doctor is accompanied by some kind of discomfort, you should immediately contact him to look for alternative options.
Birth control pills with minimal risk of weight gain
Weight gain is not observed with low-dose and micro-dosed contraceptives. There are a number of drugs containing a synthetic hormone drospirenone as an analog of progesterone, which, unlike its other analogues, helps to remove excess fluid from the body. Such means include dzhes, yarina, vidora, angelica, modell pro and others. Often, these funds are prescribed for women seeking to reduce their weight.
To hormonal tablets, from which do not grow stout, you can include the following drugs:
- Novinet approaches young, nulliparous women;
- regulon is prescribed already delivered women and those who have irregular menstrual cycle, uterine bleeding;
- Rhevidone is suitable for women of childbearing age, with dysmenorrhea, algomenorrhea , premenstrual syndrome;
- logost is recommended for women over 35 years old, can be used for the prevention of cancer;
- lindinet, mercilon is prescribed for girls who are just beginning to have an active sex life;
- ekskljuton, charozetta are recommended for contraceptive purposes for women with an irregular sexual life;
- klayr is prescribed to women of reproductive age.
Oral contraceptives can not be used for a long time, especially for women suffering from serious liver, cardiovascular and endocrine diseases. They disrupt the normal functioning of the genital organs, increase the risk of cancer and a number of serious abnormalities in the body (osteoporosis, vascular thrombosis, glaucoma, disruption of vitamin B vitamins, and others).