Keratin hair straightening: the pros and cons
To have a beautiful and neatly laid hairstyle without having to spend a long time, every woman would like to have a mirror with different instruments and means for styling. And with the help of modern cosmetology procedures that allow to strengthen, protect, align or, conversely, curl, it became real. One of them is keratin hair straightening, helping to achieve almost perfect smooth and shiny strands for a long time without daily stretching them with iron. But despite such a tremendous, it would seem, result, he has not only advantages, but also drawbacks.
Features of the procedure
Keratin hair straightening consists in applying to the pre-cleaned and prepared strands of a special composition based on keratin, which restores the structure of the hair shaft, fills damage, cracks and closes flakes. As a result, the hair is covered with a protective film, which prevents negative effects on the environment, and straightens, which leads to elimination of fluffiness and smoothing. Hair gets shine, becomes obedient, silky and more pleasant to the touch.
This procedure is most suitable for women who have on the nature curly, tough, difficult to comb and styling strands. A significant disadvantage of straightening with keratin, despite a temporary good aesthetic result, is a rather large list of contraindications and negative consequences. Contraindications include:
- oncological diseases of any localization;
- hair loss;
- too loose hair;
- damage to the scalp, including even minor scratches and wounds;
- Diseases of the scalp;
- propensity to allergic reactions.
Tip: Before deciding on keratin straightening, you need to carefully read all the advantages and disadvantages, including the long-term consequences, carefully consider the choice of the master and the means.
Pros of Keratin Rectification
The benefits of keratin straightening are mainly related to facilitating the laying and improving the appearance of the hair. Among the advantages can be noted:
- easy combing of hair, even wet;
- appearance of gloss, silky and smoothness of strands;
- simplicity and stability of laying, which is preserved even under the influence of high humidity, rain or strong wind;
- absence of tangling and fluffing of hair;
- elimination of split ends ;
- thickening of the hair;
- protection from negative factors (ultraviolet radiation, sudden changes in temperature and humidity, dirty air, frost);
- lack of inclination to electrification, which is especially often observed in winter during the wearing of caps;
- the ability to quickly correct unsuccessful results of a perm;
- a longer color retention after dyeing the hair, performed just before keratinizing.
Another plus of keratin hair straightening is the firmness of the result obtained, which, with proper care, remains up to 5 months. Also, some of the compounds for it can be used independently at home, following the instructions carefully, without attending beauty salons, which will significantly save the cost of the procedure.
Cons of keratin straightening
Unfortunately, the disadvantages of straightening keratin is much more than positive moments. These include:
- the need not to expose the hair to moisture (rain, high humidity) and not to wash your head for 72 hours after the end of the procedure, which can cause discomfort and discomfort, especially for women accustomed to a clean head;
- a high risk of allergic reactions and irritation (tearing of the eyes, reddening of the mucous membranes, facial skin and head);
- the requirement not to break and not to subject the hair to mechanical influence for three days after the procedure, do not braid them in a braid, do not pick up an elastic band or a hair clip in the tail, try not to pinch it during sleep;
- the breaking of the tips of hair a couple of months after keratinizing;
- rapid contamination of strands and the need for frequent washing to maintain a well-maintained species;
- decrease hair volume and hair loss after the procedure;
- difficulties with coloring of hair, caused by the fact that the hair is covered with a protective layer, which prevents penetration and uniform distribution of the pigment;
- exposure to hair at high temperatures (230 ° C) during the procedure;
- duration of the procedure (3 to 5 hours) and high cost, which is calculated based on the length of the hair;
- short-lived results with regular visits to the sauna, swimming pool, swimming in the sea;
- the need for the use of special expensive non-sulfate products for washing hair.
Given these shortcomings, many of the fair sex are afraid to experience keratinizing their hair, continuing to use straightening with qualitative irons with protection from thermal effects.
Warning: Formaldehyde gas emitted during the heating of the composition is the main danger in the conduct of keratin rectification. It can cause irritation, intoxication of the body, headaches and has carcinogenic properties.
Part of the listed disadvantages of keratin hair straightening can be avoided by choosing a skilled craftsman who knows all the details and peculiarities of his conduct. For example, it is easy to avoid the negative health effects of formaldehyde released during the procedure, ensuring good ventilation of the room and putting on the client a respirator or a special protective mask.
Video: Positive and negative moments of keratin rectification